1. The final score was 87-71 defense. The winning performance was led by corner Walter Thurmond. Thurmond, who is probably the front runner for the MVP of spring practice, received more rave reviews from Head Coach Chip Kelly.
“Thurmond had a great day today; he had a great day today. He was all over the field...He’s had as good a spring practice as anyone we’ve had,” Kelly said.
Thurmond had a total of five interceptions throughout the various drills in practice this morning. He had three interceptions during 3 on 2 drills and two more in the 11 on 11 drills. Of his five interceptions, four came off throws from first team quarterback Jeremiah Masoli.
2. When asked to comment on the six players drafted to the NFL over the weekend, Kelly attributed that to the success of the program.
“It’s a testament to the kids we have in the program. It’s a testament to the recruiting Mike (Bellotti) has done over the years. You had three in the top 50. Jairus, Pat and Max and that’s special. That’s something; hopefully, we will continue to build on.”
3. Several recent NFL draftees were at practice today and preparing to work out after practice. Nick Reed, Max Unger and Sonny Harris took in practice and were called on to help break huddle at the end of practice. Yet Coach Kelly noted the importance of their presence.
“That’s the type of guys we have. Those three guys got drafted to the NFL yesterday, and they’re back on the field working out today,” Kelly said.
4. The special teams drills worked on punts and punt returns. LaMichael James, Aaron Pflugrad, Kenjon Barner, Scott Grady, Walter Thurmond and Jamere Holland all fielded punts throughout the day.
5. Regarding the injured players who have sat out all or part of spring practice, Coach Kelly made the first official announcement regarding who will be healthy enough to play in Saturday’s spring game. The head coach made a ruling that players have to participate in Wednesday’s practice if they want to play in the spring game.
Note: The 2009 Oregon Spring Game will be held Saturday, May 2nd at 2:00 p.m. inside Autzen Stadium.