Search this site
Junior College Football
Ducks Smash Sun Devils 43-21
Posted Oct 19, 2012
TEMPE, ARIZ. – When Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton caused Oregon’s Marcus Mariota to fumble, the crowd on hand went wild, However when the final whistle blew, Oregon had completely dominated the game and won 43-21. The score though is misleading as ASU was knocked out of commission early in the first quarter.
(8) dives for the endzone to score a touchdown as
Sun Devils defensive end
(95) defends during the first half at Sun Devil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matt Kartozian-US PRESSWIRE
The game started off with Mariota’s fumble with ASU pouncing on the ball and capitalizing on the mistake when quarterback
for a 28-yard scoring strike. Perhaps, for ASU the fumble recovery was bittersweet because when the fumble was sorted out, Sutton remained on the ground in obvious pain. The big defensive player left the field and it was clear he wouldn’t return to the game. While the Sun Devils scored on their first possession, Sutton’s injury foretold what was about to happen.
On the second snap of the next possession
went straight up the middle for 74 yards for the Ducks first score and after that Oregon never looked back. Oregon ran where they wanted and when they wanted with ASU, the conference’s top defensive unit, unable to do much about it.
“The one thing I love about this team is that they don’t flinch,” Kelly said of his squad after giving up a fumble and score to Arizona State in the first moments of the game. “This team just bounces back. They go in at halftime leading 43-7.”
Oregon’s rampage included scoring at and went into halftime with a 43-7 lead. Along the way, the Ducks amassed 454 yards of total offense, 377 yards of that in the first half when all the starters were in. The Ducks had two rushers go over 100 yards as Barner finished with 143 yards and three touchdowns including the 71-yarder that shocked Arizona State. Quarterback Marcus Mariota turned in 135 yards of his own including a spectacular 86 yard burst.
Mariota also threw a six-yard touchdown pass to Bralon Addison. Oddly enough, Mariota only had a total of 46 yards of passing. Back up signal caller
had a total of two yards and touchdown to, none other than Mariota.
Calling this a statement game might be unfair as Oregon did what they have done all year long – score and prevent the opposition from scoring. Aside from the first touchdown on a pass from ASU’s Taylor Kelly to Kevin Ozier, the Sun Devils could not get close to the Oregon endzone. The Ducks shut the Sun Devils out for the second and third quarters and it wasn’t until the fourth quarter when the game was well decided that ASU was able to get the ball across the goal line. ASU’s
picked off Bennett and returned the ball for 36 yards and
caught a 23-yard TD pass from
Kelly finished the game going 10-for-18, 93 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions and was sacked five times. Eubank threw for 123 yards, had one touchdown, was intercepted once but was not sacked.
The only thing that was missing from this onslaught was a pick-6 by the Oregon defense, and it was not from a lack of trying. First, linebacker
intercepted Kelly on the ASU 27 and brought it back to the 6, leading to a Barner touchdown during the second quarter. A couple of possessions later safety
came oh-so-close to recording a pick-6 for the third straight game when he stole a Kelly pass and brought the ball back to the ASU 1. Barner scored again and it was game over.
was the leading Duck tackler with five solo tackles including a sack.
got in the interception business with his pick in the second half as did
had a big interception return of 43 yards.
had two sacks while
racked up a sack each. Oregon had a total of eight tackles for loss including the five sacks.
ASU was led on defense by
with 10 solo tackles.
“The bottom line tonight was that we were overmatched and had some things happen that can’t happen,” said Arizona State Head Coach Todd Graham about Oregon. “But you have to give credit to Coach Kelly and that team. There’s no doubt that they’re one of the best two teams in the country and they showed that tonight."
Oregon Postgame Notebook - Game 7 at Arizona State
• The 86-yard touchdown run by FR QB Marcus Mariota was the longest in school history by a quarterback and fifth-longest by any player. Mariota finished with a career-best 135 rushing yards on 10 carries.
• Mariota became the first Oregon player since Joey Harrington in the 2000 Holiday Bowl to score touchdowns passing, rushing and receiving in the same game.
• SR RB Kenjon Barner (3 TDs) moved past Gregg McCallum (226 points, 1988-91) &Ahmad Rashad (FKA
, 226, 1969-71) into fourth place on the UO career scoring list with 240 points.
• Barner eclipsed 100 yards rushing for the third straight game and fourth time this season, finishing with 16 carries for 143 yards. His 71-yard touchdown run was the third rush of 70 or more yards in his career.
• JR S Avery Patterson had an interception for a third straight game, one of four UO picks in the contest.
• Oregon's 22 first-quarter and 43 first-half points were the second-most in a game this season (29 and 50 vs.
, Sept. 1).
• UO improved to 7-0 for the fourth time (1930, 1933 and 2010).
• Oregon's 10-game winning streak is currently tied with
for the longest in the nation. UO ran its FBS-best road winning streak to 12 games.
• The Ducks have scored 40 or more points in 10 straight games and 30 or more in 20 straight - both tops in the nation. UO improved to 39-2 when exceeding 30 points in theChip Kelly era.
• Kelly's teams are now 27-0 in games played between weeks 2-8.
• Oregon has taken the series lead over ASU for the first time at 17-16, having won eight straight and 12 of the last 15.
• The Ducks failed to pass for 100 yards for the first time since the 2010 Rose Bowl Game vs.
What We Learned: Oregon vs. Arizona State
Oct 18, 2012
Review: Oregon at Arizona State
Oct 19, 2012
Mariota Passes Road Test
Oct 19, 2012
Get the 2013 Recruiting Yearbook and a full year of
Magazine with an Annual Total Access Pass.
Free Email Newsletter
Don't miss any news or features from eDuck.com. Subscribe to our newsletter to have our newest articles emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis.
Click here for a
list of all Team Newsletters
Add Topics to My HotList
Get free email alerts with news about your favorite topics. Click link to add to
Baseball > Arizona State
Football > Oregon
View My HotList
Places to go:
Junior College Football
Things to do:
Things to buy:
Things to know:
Terms of Service
Advertise on MSN
About our ads
© 2012 Microsoft